My name is Libby. And this is my blog.
I live in Iowa with my husband, a Louisiana native and obsessed water skier. We met when I was finishing my senior year at Tulane University in New Orleans. After 4 incredible years in New Orleans I moved back to Iowa for law school and he followed. We have a golden retriever named Nola who covers our life in red hair.
In Spring 2011, we welcomed our daughter, Scout, into the world. And then in 2014, our daughter, Olive was born. Proving that every cliche has its roots in reality, it has been amazingly life-changing in the best possible way. I'm a full-time working mom, and I'm still trying to figure out what that means.
My bloggy life.
I started blogging in 2004. I had just graduated from law school, was studying for the bar exam, and planning my wedding. It was the perfect time to start another project. Reading knitting blogs was my go-to break during law school, and so in 2004 I dove head first into blogging. Initially, this was a knitting blog. I blogged about knitting projects in progress and knitting projects planned. Those early posts were rough, and make me shudder in restrospect. Through the years, this space evolved to include other crafty adventures, sewing, cooking, gardening, and some day-to-day mundane tidbits of my life. The act of blogging feels rather self-indulgent, and from time-to-time this blog is taken over by that self-indulgence and becomes a personal, public diary of sorts.
But ultimately, this blog is where I catalog my quest for balance: family. work. knitting. crafting. gardening. cooking. You will find glimpses into our family, my projects and diversions, reviews, and links to ideas that inspire.
My crafty life.
I like to make things. When I was a kid, this involved lots of coloring, painting, embroidery floss friendship bracelets, beads, cross stitch, and on and on. During law school, I taught myself to knit and sew, and the crafting snowballed from there. Have glue gun will travel.
Please feel free to leave a comment, send me an email, or "follow" along.
A growing list of things about me.
- I believe in the Oxford comma.
- I purposely don't follow all of the rules of grammar.
- In real life, I'm a cynic.
- In my real life, I curse a lot. I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor.
- I once almost ran in to Hillary Clinton (literally) while trying to eat ice cream while walking.
- I purposely ran into (literally) Harry Connick, Jr. at the (now defunct) Red Room in New Orleans.
- The only awards I've ever won were in high school: Geographer of the Year and Most Academic Cheerleader.
- I am a nerd (see #7 above).
- I've tried, but I don't think I "get" Twitter.
- I can't dance or sing, but I don't let that stop me.
- I don't like to sweat. Or exercise, for that matter.
- I listen to NPR, but I never donate.
- I get cranky when I visit someone and their house is really clean and I can't see any clutter.
- On a semi-regular basis, I become obsessed with Jane Austen.
- In my opinion, Colin Firth's portrayal of Mr. Darcy will never be matched.
- Colin Firth and Hugh Grant's fight scene in Bridget Jones' Diary remains one of the greatest scenes ever.
- I have bad luck when it comes to air travel.
- I like to start projects.