Back in July, when the temperature looked something like this:
I decided it was the perfect time to order up some rustic wool and start knitting a Christmas stocking. By early-August, I was mid-way through the heel when I decided the heel looked sloppy. Rather than rip back and start over on the heel, I set it aside. But I was bound and determined to get this completed before Christmas so it could hang all season long. So after Thanksgiving I picked it back up, ignored the pattern directions, and knit a new heel.
The next hurdle was the duplicate stitch name. I had to relearn duplicate stitch, and I'm not 100% happy with the font, but it's done. I'm still debating adding some bells and after Christmas (and before Christmas 2012) I will definitely line the entire thing to prevent stretching over time.
The pattern is called Evergreen by Annie's Woolens, and I purchased the kit. The colors aren't exactly what I thought they'd be (more grey than white), but I like the finished project. This pattern has issues. While the overall quality of the pattern is pretty high (a great chart), the short row directions for the heel are so incredibly poorly written. But I recommend the pattern with that caveat. My OCD is telling me to buy the yarn for two more (in a similar pattern, but the same yarn) so all of our stockings match. Maybe next year.